Our corporate values at Joy of Keto and the Lakeview Gluten-Free Bakery
The values of the small business of the Lakeview Gluten-Free Bakery, founded and owned by Brian Hinton, and our new product line, Joy of Keto, are consistent with leading practice in corporate values.
Here are some similarities.
- Sustainability: The Lakeview Gluten-Free Bakery is highly alert to issues of environmental sustainability and food miles. We have close ties with a variety of local businesses, suppliers, and large and small customers, and we work on regional networks to reduce food miles and to support environmental sustainability. Fossil fuel dependence is a concern of ours, as we seek to source ingredients locally at every opportunity. Our products are baked locally in small batches from locally sourced ingredients as much as possible.
- Responsiveness: We respond to community demands, as Brian is now doing with our new 15-product Joy of Keto range. We were the first bakery in Calgary to introduce gluten-free products and now sell over two hundred gluten-free products at the Lakeview Gluten-Free Bakery. The bakery also supplies a range of other packaged gluten-free products to the Calgary community. We believe that we are agile like our hummingbird logo, Lucia. As a small business, we have adapted to changing conditions in the marketplace for over 29 years.
- Local employment and gender inclusion: We are an employer that focuses on inclusion and equity in the workplace. We employ several local people with a range of backgrounds, training, and skills. We have a workforce that has many more women than men. We support women in management positions. And we are very conscious of gender equality issues in the workplace. We also employ several older workers. Our founder/owner is 78 years old!
- Corporate giving: Ours is a longstanding family-run business with networks that extend widely and deeply into Calgary and Albertan communities. The Lakeview Gluten-Free Bakery, in particular, has supported the Calgary Women’s Run (https://www.calgaryroadrunners.com/calgary-womens-run) for many years. The bakery’s strong commitment to the Canadian Celiac Association continues to this day. Furthermore, every year during the Food Bank drive, we donate as a company way more than we receive in donations. And we have been doing that for decades!
Regularly, we donate all products that cannot be sold to a local church charity group.
- Innovation: Brian Hinton’s work as a food technologist places him at the forefront of his profession and among innovators in food technology and baking, both in Canada and internationally.
- Here for the long haul: Like FedEx, we are here for the long haul. Brian Hinton, in launching an innovative range of keto-friendly fresh baked products, is taking a family business to new levels. But it’s still the iconic Lakeview Gluten-Free Bakery, famous for its beautiful and delicious gluten-free baked goods. Brian has “stuck to the knitting” for 44 years in the bakery business in Calgary.
- Sticking to what is important: We’re working on what’s important in Canada today in terms of dietary choices. Brian’s initiative to launch an innovative range of fresh-baked keto-friendly products in 2019 (Joy of Keto) aligns perfectly with the philosophy and guidelines in the 2019 Canada Food Guide. (See foodguide.canada.ca/en/ ) We are supporting the health of Calgary people and other Albertans by encouraging them to eat more plant-based foods. Most baked goods are plant-based, of course!